Friday, January 14, 2011

Getting Out of a Rut

Ok, so the fast thing is going well.  It really is.  But I'm stuck in a rut.  I've had the previously posted Taco Soup FIVE times since the fast began.  I'll probably make it for today's lunch too.   Every meal so far has consisted of beans.  While the food has been good, I needed to change things up a bit.

So here it is.  This recipe is adapted from a "Stir-Fried Chicken" recipe I have  from a little cookbook I have called "Award-Winning Chicken Recipes".  The chicken version is excellent, so I modified it a little for last night's dinner so that it would work well for the fast.

Phase I - mixing in the veggies 

Phase II - adding in bean sprouts, water chestnuts and a light soy sauce mixture

Dinner is served!!

2 tbsp olive oil
1 c. diagonally sliced celery
about 1 1/2 c. of frozen sliced carrots
1 medium sized green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium sized red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium sized yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
*1 c. sliced mushroom (I did not include this time)
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 can (16 oz) bean sprouts, drained
1 can (5 oz) water chestnuts, drained and sliced (you can buy them already sliced!)
1/4 c. water
2 tsp cornstarch
3 cups hot cooked rice (I made whole grain brown rice in my rice cooker)
*3/4 c. peanuts (I did not add this time)

Heat oil in wok or large skillet over high heat. Add celery, carrot, peppers, mushrooms (if you like), onion, salt and ginger. Stir-fry about 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.  Stir in bean sprouts, water chestnuts and water. Blend cornstarch with soy sauce until smooth, then gradually stir into vegetables. Cook stirring constantly, until thickened. Mound rice onto serving platter; spoon  vegetables over rice. Sprinkle with peanuts; serve immediately.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.