Saturday, January 8, 2011

Daily Wisdom Challenge - Week 1 in Review

As I mentioned in my last blog post, I began a "Daily Wisdom Challenge" a.k.a a "Twitter Bible Study".  That is to say, on January 1st, I began a "chronological" reading plan in which I am reading the entire Bible over the course of 2011.  It starts of in Genesis, as you might imagine, but since it is chronological in nature, the study skips to the book of Job pretty early on. Let me tell you, for someone who has read only bits of the Bible here and there over the course of my 38 years, Job is not a fun place to be!  It's harsh.  It's almost a slap in the face, as if to say, "Hey, you think YOU have it bad???"  Before returning to Genesis, here I will sit through Day 14 of this challenge.

Why is it called a Twitter Bible study?  If you go back to my previous post, it explains that we are to post our little kernels of wisdom from our daily readings on a social networking site all while keeping those insights to 140 characters or less, just as Twitter posts are.   It forces you to be concise.  Much can be said in few words.  Each day, our pastor has a blog post on his site.  We post our insights under each day as well.  Throughout the day, I'll read through the posts from other people to gain some insight from other perspectives.  Not everyone is on the same reading plan - the choice was ours - but it's good to read words of wisdom from other parts of the Bible while my own personal focus is on this chronological plan.

So far, the "challenge" has not been challenging for me at all.  That is to say, it is not challenging for me to DO the study each day.  I make sure I get up even earlier in the day than I used to so that I can begin my day in the Word.  I take time to think of what I'm going to say and then post my insights before going on with my day.  It's given me something to ponder during the day.  I'm grateful for that.  I'm spending more time throughout my day thinking about the Word, which is exciting to me.  The challenge lies in having to actually learn something and gain some real wisdom from what I have read!  THAT part is a challenge for me, believe me on that!!  To post amongst so many other people who really, truly seem far more insightful than I am is very intimidating!

What are my insights, you might be wondering?  Well, I'll re-cap Week 1 for you.  I'll throw links in for the biblical references so you don't even have to dig up your old "analog" Bible, as our pastor calls it (that is to say, an actual physical Bible with real pages which you operate manually!).  These are just my own reflections.  I hope they are useful to someone other than myself.  Please feel free to comment with any of your own bits of wisdom!

Week 1 - Daily Wisdom Challenge Insights
by Sarah Fontenot


Day 1 - Don’t be swayed by those claiming to know more than God. May change your life drastically. God knows us & has a plan. Trust in Him. Genesis 1-3

Day 2 - We should all strive to live righteous lives which are pleasing to God. It’s not out of His power to arrange for a “do over”. Genesis 4 - 6

Day 3 - “For God made human beings in His own image.” That’s a lot to live up to. What are we doing to reflect that image to those we meet? Genesis 8 - 11

Day 4 - Bad things happen to good people but God is with us through it all - protects us, heals us, gives hope for the future. Job 1 - 5

Day 5 - Seeking personal relationship w/ God goes WAY back! In building that relationship, fears would be calmed and hope restored.  Job 6 - 9

Day 6 - Sometimes you're better off keeping quiet rather than making judgment calls without knowing all the facts.  Job 10 - 13

Day 7 - If only Job knew that God would send his son into the world to die for humanity to have eternal life with God who created us. Job 14 - 16

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.