Monday, January 10, 2011

Awakening

Today was Day 1 of  a 21-day fast, called "Awakening".  It is a fast which was started by Pastor Stovall Weems from Celebration Church in Jacksonville, FL.  Pastor Stovall came to Seacoast Church last week and he spoke at our First Wednesday service.  If you are interested, you can actually click HERE to watch his message online.

The purpose of this 21-day fast is, as Pastor Stovall said, to disconnect from things in the world in order to re-connect with God.  It's a spiritual awakening.  We quiet our lives and give our lives to God through dedicated prayer and fasting.  We present Him with our needs during this time, but unlike other times in our lives when we are surrounded by the 'busyness' of life, our minds and hearts are to become more open to what God has to say to us.

Groceries for the Fast

Fasting, for me, is a challenge.  The fast that we are following is called a Daniel Fast.  As you can see in the link for the Daniel Fast, there's a whole lot of veggies - and I'm not a big veggie person!  What there isn't is meats, fats, processed food, beverages other than water, and so on.  For 21 days, Ron and I will be following this fast. I decided to post an album on my Facebook page with pictures of what we've been eating.  I've also put the recipes with the pictures in case it might help someone else who is also on the fast.

Here was today's fasting plan.  Note, I do not take credit for the recipes below.  I got them from an email I received from www.marthafry.org.

Fruit Smoothies
1 c. apple juice
2 bananas, halved
1/2 to 3/4 c. strawberries
1/4 c. soy milk

Taco Soup
32 oz. vegetable broth
8 oz all natural salsa
1 can black beans
2 c. frozen corn
Cook on stove for 30 minutes.

White Bean Chili
4 cans Great Northern beans
3 cans vegetable broth (I just used a 32 oz box of broth)
1 c. water
1 1/4 c. chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
Combine all ingredients in a large pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 30 minutes.

If you are participating in a fast these next 21 days, I hope that these recipes will be useful to you.  The fruit smoothie was awesome.  The taco soup was also very delicious.  In a non-fast period, I would add chicken breast, tortilla strips, and cheese.  The white bean chili was pretty good, but I'd call it more of a 'soup' than a 'chili'.

I hope and pray that this time of fasting will bring me closer to God.  I am already immersed in the Word through the "Daily Wisdom Challenge" which I've previously blogged about.  I also decided to add a 21-day study which is designed to compliment a 21-day fast.  While I haven't outright given up social networking during this fast, I am limiting my time spent on Facebook.  No games or aimlessly wandering around.  All of that takes up so much time and it's time better spent elsewhere, right now and probably in the future.  I'm still checking in periodically, but at least for the next few weeks I won't be as active on Facebook as you may be used to seeing.  I'm also limiting time spent watching tv.  Again, not sure I'm outright giving that up.  I just want for the bulk of my waking hours to be spent engaging in things which will help me through this fast and to achieve the spiritual awakening that I am longing for.

Please pray for Ron and I over the coming weeks through this fasting period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.